Amazing Lentil Loaf
Welcome to my favorite lentil loaf! With protein-rich lentils, mushrooms, and veggies, this recipe will soon be on your list of favorites.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Oven
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1 C veggie broth
- 1 C garlic broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1–2 T EVOO
- 1 T egg replacer
- ½ C crimini mushrooms
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 zucchini squash (yellow or calabaza squash works well too)
- 1 tsp Italian herb mix
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- ½ c smashed up croutons
Cook the lentils in the Instant Pot
- Rinse the dry lentils
- Put the lentils, the broth, a bay leaf, and the water in the instant pot.
- Set the pressure cook time to 15 minutes.
- Let the pressure go down on its own.
- Drain the lentils through a sieve and discard any excess liquid.*
- Discard the bay leaf.
Prepare the other ingredients
- Slice the mushrooms, celery, and squash.
- Add the olive oil to a skillet and cook the veggies and the Italian seasoning for 3-5 minutes. The mushrooms should be brown, and the celery and squash should be soft but not mushy.
- Using a rolling pin and a plastic bag, crush the croutons.
- Prepare the egg replacer according to package instructions (or use an egg).
Make the lentil loaf
- Add the prepared ingredients to a large mixing bowl along with the nutritional yeast.
- Mix these ingredients thoroughly and transfer them to a loaf pan or glass casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot, cook the lentils according to package instructions.
- As the lentils sit, they will continue absorbing moisture, and you’ll have less liquid to drain. If you have time, cook the lentils a day before and let them sit in the fridge overnight for best results.
- The seasoned croutons add a lot of flavor. Add a dash of Italian dressing to the crumbled croutons if you only have breadcrumbs or plain croutons.
- If you use an egg replacer, this recipe is vegan, but check the ingredients on the croutons you use to be sure those are vegan.
Keywords: lentil loaf, vegan lentil loaf, easy vegan lentil loaf, vegetarian lentil loaf, simple lentil loaf recipe, lentil mushroom loaf