Black Bean Salad
This colorful black bean salad works as a side dish or potluck item. The simple, zesty dressing brings out the flavor without overpowering the ingredients.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Side, salad
- Method: Counter top
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 can of black beans (or 1.5 cups cooked beans)
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper
- 2 T chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 2 T lime juice
- 1 T white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons light oil (Some good choices are: sunflower oil, avocado oil, etc.)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- A pinch of salt
- Using a colander or sieve, drain and rinse the black beans.
- Run warm water over the frozen corn to thaw it; then drain the excess water.
- Add the beans and the corn to a mixing bowl.
- Chop up the bell pepper and the cilantro.
- Either cut the red onion into rings or chop it, depending on your taste for raw onions.
- Add the bell pepper, cilantro, and red onion to the bean and corn mixture.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a mixing cup or small bowl.
- Add the dressing to the mixing bowl and stir all ingredients well.
- If the dressing is too tart, add more sugar to taste.
- You can substitute kidney beans for black beans. The reason for using either black beans or kidney beans has to do with the nice color contrast that they provide. Other bean types will taste great in this salad, but black beans and kidney beans look really appetizing mixed in with the yellow (or white) corn and red bell pepper pieces. If you choose to use kidney beans, increase the corn amount to one cup.
Keywords: black bean salad, bean salad, bean and corn salad