These no-bake chocolate energy bites make a great mid-day snack or pick-me-up. They’re sweet, crunchy, and chewy all at the same time.
Even though these chocolate energy bites can keep in the fridge for days, they taste too good to languish there. The creamy chocolate and the crunchy nuts and seeds will keep you coming back for more. They’re perfect for school or work lunches, and they go great with a cup of tea or coffee. They might be just what you need to get through that afternoon meeting at work. We make a bunch of these before a road trip because it can be hard to find healthy snacks at gas stations along the way.Jump to Recipe
These chocolate energy bites are full of healthy ingredients with no added sugar. And, I hear that chocolate is good for you. If you need some convincing, check out this article. The dates provide a natural source of sweetness and the nuts and seeds have protein, healthy oils, and nutrients. Go here for more info about nuts and seeds.
Making Chocolate Energy Bites
No baking required! These chocolate energy bites will be ready in minutes. To get started, chop the pecans by hand or use pecans that have already been chopped. You can find those in the baking aisle of your grocery store. Set the pecans aside for later. Next, toss the seeds into the food processor and pulse them to little bits.
Then add everything but the chopped pecans and half of the coconut into the food processor. Pulse these ingredients until everything is well blended. If you chop the dates into two pieces beforehand it makes things go a little faster.
Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the chopped pecans.
Here’s the fun part – scoop out spoonfuls and form the mixture into balls by hand. Then roll those balls into the remaining coconut and – just like that – you have chocolate energy bites. Yeah, it’s kind of messy but it’s all worth it.
Storing Chocolate Energy Bites
These energy bites are okay at room temperature since there’s nothing perishable in them, but they’ll stay fresh longer if you refrigerate the ones that don’t get eaten up right away.
Chocolate Energy Bites
- 1/8 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/8 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup pecans chopped
- 15 pitted dates or about 1/2 cup 100 grams
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter natural; no added sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/8 cup dark baking chocolate bar chopped into small pieces
- Put the sunflower and pumpkin seeds in the food processor and pulse until they are small pieces.
- Chop the pecans into pieces by hand.
- Cut the dates in two pieces for easier blending
- Cut the dark baking bar squares into slivers.
- Add the dates, one tablespoon of water, the peanut butter, the cocoa powder, 1/4 cup of coconut, and the dark chocolate to the food processor.
- Pulse until evenly blended.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Add the chopped pecans and mix thoroughly.
- Add another tablespoon of water if needed.
- Scoop out a spoonful at a time and shape into balls.
- Roll the balls in the remainder of the shredded coconut.
- I used Deglet Noor dates, but other types of dates will work.
- This recipe makes about 15 bites but you might make more or less depending on how you roll the balls.
- The nutrition information is based on using peanut butter that has no added sugar. We use a brand that is just peanuts and salt. That type of peanut butter is also softer, so if you use a firm peanut butter you might need to add more water.
Products used in this recipe
Leave a Reply