This tangy, sweet honey poppyseed dressing brings out the flavors of fresh fruit. It’s also yummy on tossed field greens with dried fruit and nuts. It’s good for all those situations where you need some tangy sweetness.
About this Poppyseed Dressing Recipe
I used to have a favorite store-bought poppyseed dressing, but the company quit making it. When internet searches for it came up empty, I decided to make my own. Salad dressings are easy to make, and when you make them yourself, you can use simple ingredients that you have in your kitchen.
- Red wine vinegar – adds the tartness and red color
- Honey – used as a sweetener. Substitute maple syrup or agave nectar for vegan options.
- Mayonnaise – makes it creamy
- Mustard powder – provides a slightly bitter contrast to the sweetener
- Onion powder – adds depth
- Poppy seeds – of course!
- Light oil – sunflower oil is a good choice
The mayonnaise is optional, but I really like having it in there. It makes the dressing nice and creamy.
I tried this dressing with sugar, but honey is a different sweetness altogether. It really sets it apart from other poppyseed dressings. Speaking of honey, try to find some that is locally sourced. Think of it as an excuse to check out your local farmer’s market or that trendy gourmet shop you’ve heard about.
Making the Poppyseed Dressing
Get out your measuring cups, spoons, and a whisk. Add the red wine vinegar, honey, mayonnaise, and the dry ingredients to a glass measuring cup or a small mixing bowl. Blend these ingredients thoroughly and then slowly add the oil, stirring as you go.
Full disclosure – I used an electric whisk to blend mayonnaise into the vinegar. The mixture was a little lumpy and I wanted it nice and smooth. If you don’t have an electric whisk, you’ll do fine with a wire whisk.
After you’ve mixed everything together, you can use it right away or put it in a cute jar and store it in the refrigerator. The ingredients will separate as it sits in the fridge, so just give a good shake before you use it. To give credit where it’s due, this dressing was inspired by one found here.
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy
If you’ve made weekend biscuits or mellow muffins with a side of fruit salad, give this poppyseed dressing a try. For a savory dressing, try my smoky chipotle ranch dressing.
- 1/4 C red wine vinegar
- 1/4 C honey
- 3 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 C safflower oil or other light oil
- Whisk together the red wine vinegar, mayonnaise, and honey.
- Add the onion powder, mustard powder, poppy seeds, and salt.
- Whisk all of those ingredients while you slowly add the safflower oil.
Leave a Reply