Make these crunchy, spicy, and colorful lettuce wraps as an appetizer or light main dish. Fill romaine leaves with fresh veggies, brown rice, baked tofu, and spicy peanut sauce; then watch them disappear.Jump to Recipe
You can find lettuce wraps in lots of Asian restaurants, but they’re easy to make at home. What makes lettuce wraps so popular? The short answer is they’re delicious. The long answer is they combine lots of flavors, colors, and textures into one appetizing dish. They have a savory filling, a slightly sweet sauce, the crunch of carrots and cucumbers, all wrapped in a fresh lettuce leaf. If you’re a fan of fresh cilantro, snip some leaves of that on top of everything.
Another great thing about lettuce wraps is that they’re good for you. These healthy vegetarian lettuce wraps combine tofu, peanut sauce, and brown rice, all of which provide protein. The fresh veggies and lettuce are full of vitamins and nutrients. So dig into these guilt-free wraps.
The fresh ingredients are easy to find, but you’ll need to make the brown rice, spicy peanut sauce, and baked tofu ahead of time. To speed things up, buy ready-to-use shredded carrots found in the produce section of your local grocery store.
Making Lettuce Wraps
Cut an average-sized cucumber in half and peel the half you’re going to use. Slice the peeled cucumber into thin strips. Put the cooked brown rice, chopped baked tofu, and spicy peanut sauce in a non-stick skillet.
Stir all of the filling ingredients on medium heat until warm.
Put out everything you’ll need and start assembling the lettuce wraps.
Start by adding a dollop of the rice, tofu, and spicy peanut sauce mixture onto each lettuce leaf. Add the shredded carrots and cucumber strips. Be sure to have more spicy peanut sauce and sriracha sauce on the table.
Eat and Enjoy!
Fold these up and eat them by hand. Dribble on a little extra spicy peanut sauce and a dab of sriracha to taste. If you like dishes with tofu and spicy peanut sauce, try soba noodles and zoodles.Print
Lettuce Wraps with Baked Tofu
Make these crunchy, spicy, and colorful lettuce wraps as an appetizer or light main dish. Fill romaine leaves with fresh veggies, brown rice, baked tofu, and spicy peanut sauce; then watch them disappear.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: 4 lettuce wraps 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Asian
- Prepare the brown rice, baked tofu, and spicy peanut sauce ahead of time.
- Chop the baked tofu into bite-sized or smaller pieces.
- Wash four large leaves of Romaine lettuce. You can also use butter lettuce.
- Cut a cucumber in half and peel the half you plan to use.
- Cut the peeled cucumber into thin strips.
- Put out the shredded carrots.
- Put the cooked brown rice, the spicy peanut sauce, and the baked tofu pieces into a non-stick skillet and stir these ingredients on medium heat until they’re warm.
- Add a dollop of the rice, peanut sauce, and tofu mixture to each lettuce wrap.
- Top with shredded carrots and cucumber slices.
- (Optional) Snip or slice some cilantro leaves on top as garnish.
- Serve immediately.
The prep time listed here is the amount of time it takes to assemble the lettuce wraps. It does not include the time it takes to prepare the brown rice, spicy peanut sauce, or baked tofu.
- Serving Size: 2 lettuce wraps
- Protein: 7.5 grams
Products used in this recipe