This is a great basic muffin recipe. As is, it’s perfect with butter or margarine as a breakfast bread, but it also goes well with soups or as a side bread with any meal. Add dried fruit like dates or raisins along with some nuts and you have a nice sweet breakfast muffin.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Total Time: 28 minutes
- Category: Baked items
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup of melted vegetable shortening
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Use oil, shortening, or spray on oil to the muffin tin.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir dry ingredients to blend thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg with the honey and milk.
- Add the milk/egg/honey mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Add the melted shortening.
- Stir to make a moist muffin batter.
- Fill each muffin slot about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
Keywords: muffins, breakfast bread, quick bread, breakfast muffins, dinner muffins