Dinner is ready in minutes with these super-easy shrimp tacos. This meal is colorful, tasty, and fun to eat.
You need only a few ingredients for these shrimp tacos. Use cooked frozen salad shrimp and bagged cabbage to make the prep even quicker, or cook raw shrimp and slice some white and red cabbage. This meal is quick and easy either way. If your grocery store makes fresh tortillas, that’s a great option. The better the quality of your ingredients, the better everything will taste. Hopefully, you can find an authentic brand of fresh corn tortillas to make these shrimp tacos.
If you start with frozen raw shrimp and cook that, look for shrimp that has been peeled and has the tail off. That shortens the meal prep time.
Making Shrimp Tacos
Either thaw the frozen cooked salad shrimp or cook the raw shrimp. Slice the cabbage and fresh avocado. We made a quick dressing with a few simple ingredients, but you can use your favorite salsa or some other taco dressing if you have it on hand. Microwave the corn tortillas wrapped in a damp kitchen towel or paper towels.
Similar to our fish tacos, we chose to sauté the shrimp instead of frying them. It makes for a faster meal prep, but it’s also a healthier choice.
If you choose raw shrimp that you will cook yourself, try using a griddle pan to give the shrimp a grilled look or sauté the shrimp in a skillet. Shrimp cook very fast so keep an eye on them. Cook them on medium heat and turn them after two-to-three minutes (depending on how large the shrimp are). Shrimp turn pink on the outside when they’re done.
If you have a really hungry crowd, these shrimp tacos go well with Mexican rice and pinto or black beans. This makes a good assembly meal – put all the ready ingredients on the table and let everyone make their tacos. Have plenty of napkins handy!
- 24 medium or 32 small uncooked shrimp or salad shrimp
- 2 cups of sliced cabbage – green red or a mix of each kind
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 sliced avocado
- ½ tsp Chili powder Optional Chili powder to taste for the shrimp.
- 6 T mayo 1/4 cup + 1/8 cup
- 2 T lime juice
- ¼ tsp Sriracha chili sauce
- Shrimp Tacos
- Option 1 – frozen salad shrimp: Thaw frozen salad shrimp ahead of time and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Option 2 – If you use raw shrimp, sauté them in a skillet or pan grill them.
- (Optional) Sprinkle chili powder on the shrimp.
- Slice the cabbage into strips.
- Wrap the corn tortillas in either a damp kitchen towel or damp paper towels.
- Put the tortillas on a plate and microwave them for 45 seconds.
- Turn the wrapped tortillas over and microwave them for 45 more seconds.
- Put the tortillas on a plate
- Add 3-4 shrimp per tortilla.
- Top with cabbage, sliced avocado, and dressing.
- Put the mayonnaise, lime juice, and chili sauce in a small bowl.
- Whisk until thoroughly mixed.
- Drizzle on top of tacos.
- Add chili powder to the shrimp while they’re cooking or sprinkle it on the salad shrimp after you have patted them dry.
- Use more Sriracha chili sauce.
Leave a Reply