These egg-free vegetarian breakfast burritos are full of flavor and protein. Make them ahead of time and freeze them for an easy breakfast at home or on the go.Jump to Recipe
I love the idea of grabbing a breakfast burrito when I’m out but it’s hard to find one that isn’t full of meat or eggs. While I’m not vegan, my mild egg allergy means that eggs are not my first choice in breakfast food. I set out to make flavorful egg-free breakfast burritos that are full of good things to eat like tofu scramble, potatoes, diced bell peppers, and black beans. I use shredded cheese, but if you omit the cheese, these are vegan breakfast burritos.
You’ll need the following ingredients in these vegetarian breakfast burritos:
- Large flour tortillas – use the large ones for easier burrito making.
- Canned beans – add extra color and protein. Use any kind of beans, but pinto or black beans are good choices.
- Red bell pepper – for added color and flavor.
- Tofu scramble – the main source of protein in these burritos.
- Air fryer potatoes – go well with beans and tofu.
- Cheese – optional, but yummy if you like cheese.
Why Did I Choose these Ingredients?
I already talked about the no egg breakfast thing and why I think tofu is a good option, but what about the rest of this stuff? It all boils down to taste and color.
- Taste – If something doesn’t taste good then I’m not going to look forward to eating it. I like everything I listed. Now that I have an air fryer, potatoes are back in my life, and they’re great for breakfast.
- Visual appeal – How things look really matters to me too. The red bell pepper contrasts nicely with the black beans and pale tofu. I chose tortillas that have some spinach in them because they aren’t as bland as regular varieties. I snipped a little parsley into the final product. Parsley and cilantro both can add extra color and flavor. I think chives would work well too. So, as you make these for yourself, think about what colors look appetizing to you and vary ingredients accordingly.
Making Vegetarian Breakfast Burritos
Make the tofu scramble and air fryer potatoes ahead of time. Those links go to my recipes for each of those items. I don’t go into detail about making either of those recipes here, but they’re both quick and easy.
Get the air fryer potatoes going and while they’re cooking, make the tofu scramble. Neither of these recipes takes long to make. While the potatoes are on their second 12-minutes of cooking, get out the rest of the ingredients for a quick and easy burrito assembly.
- Warm the tortillas one at a time – this makes them easier to fold and roll-up. Get a paper towel wet and then wring it out. Use this damp paper towel to cover the tortilla. Microwave it on a plate for about 15-20 seconds.
- Add about one-fifth of each ingredient to the warmed tortilla – This doesn’t have to be exact. You’ll get a feel for it as you make the burritos.
- Fold in the edges – after you have the ingredients in the tortilla.
- Roll up the tortilla – this makes it into a burrito which can then be cut in two pieces or eaten as is.
- Repeat these steps to make five burritos – these can then be frozen for a few weeks or refrigerated until the next day.
Folks, this makes five vegetarian breakfast burritos. Five! That means one a day for a work-week or however you want to space them out. In the time it takes to make these delicious no egg vegetarian burritos you just saved yourself a huge amount of time. These will be ready for those mornings when you’re doing your best to get out the door and a healthy breakfast is the last thing on your mind.
Of course, you’ll want to eat one right away.
Tips for Easy Burrito Assembly
- Make the tofu scramble well ahead of burrito assembly. You can even make it the day before and refrigerate it. Then take it out of the fridge when you’re ready to make the burritos.
- Clear your counter and lay out all of the ingredients for easy assembly.
- Microwave each tortilla right before you put the ingredients in. The tortillas need to be soft in order to roll properly, and a few seconds in the microwave will do the job.
- Set aside plenty of time. There’s nothing difficult about this recipe but it does take some time and planning. Remember that you’re making five meals, so the time you put in making these breakfast burritos will be returned every time you pull one out of the freezer, zap it, and eat it.
Serving and Freezing Vegetarian Breakfast Burritos
You can serve these right away or store them for later. If you put them in the fridge, plan on eating them the following day. They will be good for up to four months in the freezer. Mine never last that long though.
When you take them out of the freezer, plan on 1-2 minutes in the microwave. However, if you move one from the freezer to the fridge the night before you plan to eat it, you can shorten the microwave time.
Whether you eat them right away or save them for later, they go well with salsa.
Other Recipes You Might LikePrint
Vegetarian Breakfast Burritos -Egg-free
These egg-free vegetarian breakfast burritos are full of flavor and protein. Make them ahead of time and freeze them for an easy breakfast at home or on the go.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 5 burritos 1x
- 5 large flour tortillas
- 1 can of black beans, drained
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 recipe of tofu scramble
- 1 recipe of air fryer potatoes
Tofu Scramble Ingredients
- 16 ounces medium or medium-hard tofu
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp turmeric (optional)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 T oil or butter
Air Fryer Potatoes Ingredients
- 8 ounces Yukon gold potatoes, cut into cubes or slices
- 1/4 teaspoon Jane’s Krazy Mixed-up Salt (or other seasoned salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- (Optional) black pepper to taste
- Make the tofu scramble and air fryer potatoes ahead of time.
- Repeat steps 3-6 to make five burritos.
- Wrap each tortilla in a damp paper towel and microwave it for 20 seconds before you add the ingredients.
- Add about one-fifth of each ingredient to the warmed tortilla.
- Fold in the edges.
- Roll up the tortilla.
- (Optional) Cut the burrito in two pieces.
- The prep-time will vary with your experience level. It might take you more or less time to get the knack of rolling up burritos, but once you have done one, the rest are easy.
Keywords: vegetarian breakfast burritos, breakfast burritos, vegetarian breakfast burritos no egg